Monday, April 4, 2011

Marshmallow Chick Plushies

And now for what so many of you have been waiting for . . . the
MARSHMALLOW CHICK TUTORIAL!!

These cuties would be perfect in an Easter basket, hidden in the grass during an Easter egg hunt, or as a simple decoration in your home.

marshmallow chick plushie tutorial and pattern

This one was a lot trickier to design than the bunny, but I think they turned out rather adorable, if I do say so myself! Plus, they are actually a little easier to sew!


To make these sweet little birdies, click the button below to print the pattern and then continue underneath for a detailed photo tutorial.



You will need:
* less than 1/4 yard of fleece or felt (I used fleece because it is softer and fluffier, but felt would work fine as well)
* matching thread
* polyester stuffing
* dark brown embroidery floss for eyes



Cut fabric as directed on pattern. You will end up with 5 pieces: 2 head pieces, cut mirror image to each other, 1 chest piece, and 2 body pieces (one with rectangular cut-out in center).

Hand embroider eyes - one eye on front side of each head piece (the thicker, "fluffier" side of fleece is the front). I did a satin stitch in a small circle for both of the eyes. Don't know how to embroider? It's easy: How to make a satin stitch


Now, sew the head pieces together (right sides together) and sew together along top side only with 1/4" seams.


Next, pin the chest piece (right sides together) between the attached head pieces and sew together with 1/4" seams.

Flip head right side out. Your chick should now sort-of resemble a dolphin... or maybe that's just because mine is blue?!

marshmallow chick plushie tutorial and pattern

Now, pin head into the rectangle shaped hole in center of one body piece (right sides together). . .


. . . and sew together with 1/4" seams.


You're almost done!


Finally, flip head inside out again and pin second body piece (right sides together) to first body piece and sew together with 1/4" seams, leaving about 3 inches open for turning.

Flip the chick right side out, stuff with polyester filling and hand sew the opening closed. Your chicky is done!!

Sooo simple! :)


Now go make your own!

I'd love to see how everyone else's chicks and bunnies turn out! If you decide to make one (or many!), please add your photos to the Dandelions & Lace Flicker Group! If you don't use Flickr and you decide to blog or post photos of your plushies elsewhere, please leave me a comment with a link! Can't wait to see them!

 

 UPDATE: I've heard from a couple of people who had questions about printing the pattern. You should be able to open the pdf pattern in Google Drive by clicking the "CLICK HERE FOR PATTERN" button above. Once the pattern is open, click the PRINT button at the top left. Send me a note at dandelionsandlace@gmail.com if you have troubles!

23 comments:

  1. Okay, I thought the bunnies were adorable, but the chicks are just downright amazing! Thanks for sharing the pattern! (Saw you on UCreate, btw.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! I think this may be something my limited sewing skills could tackle. My kids would love one of these little guys. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are absolutely adorable!!! I love them :) - my daughter would naturally want hot pink...

    ReplyDelete
  4. those are awesome! thanks for sharing! saw you on UCreate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Off to make mine now! =) will post on flickr

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just as adorable as the bunnies! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SUPER cute and adorable. You did a great job on these. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh cute !!! I'm getting my things together to make the bunny peeps !! thanks for these tutorials !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wanted to let you know that I included your Awesome Tutorial in my post "Lovin' Our Peeps" over at thosecraftysisters.com. Love your adorable Peeps!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so cute .. sharing on our FB ..
    thanks .. x00x mo & the girls

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing this adorable pattern! We have a baby boom in my husband's, my, and my bosses' families, so I need to make a dozen of these by next Sunday as Easter gifts! (wish me luck!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! Hope you get them all done! I would love to see photos! :)

      Delete
  12. So cute!! I will have to give this one a try. I was thinking about how to do it after trying your bunny one. Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are so AWESOME!! Peeps are so yummy and these are so cute!! I'm only 13 but I saw these on Pinterest and I love them! I am definitely asking for a sewing machine for Christmas this year. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shea! You should definitely ask for a sewing machine for Christmas. I'm sure you'd love it! Sewing is great! :) If you ever get around to sewing one of my peeps, I'd love to see pictures! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  14. I can't open up the pattern pdf... Is the link broken? Or does it still work for everyone else.

    I had a friend that would LOVE one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca! Sorry to take so long to respond. I am having no trouble opening up the pattern and haven't heard from anyone else with any problems. I'd try again and see if you have any luck. If it still doesn't work, I can send you the pattern if you give me your email address. Good luck!!

      Delete
  15. I can't open the .pdf pattern, either. Sue Curran scurran@inebraska.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are soooo cute!!! I made the bunny yesterday and it turned out amazing!!! I can't wait to try the chick!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would also like a copy of both the chicks and bunnies.. I was wanting to make them for the kids easter baskets!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will gladly send you the pattern if you provide me with your email address! If you don't want it shown publicly in the comments, just send me a note with your email to dandelionsandlace@gmail.com

      Thanks!

      Delete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!