Thursday, April 21, 2011

Jellybean Garland Tutorial

Here's one more tutorial, just in time for Easter! For some reason, I seem to be on an Easter candy kick this year... and what candy is [nearly] as quintessential at Eastertime as Marshmallow Peeps? Why, jellybeans of course!

I think everyone should have a cheerful jellybean garland to decorate their home! And this project is so easy that you still have plenty of time make it before the big day!

felt jellybean garland tutorial

You will need:
  • colorful felt
  • thread
  • polyester stuffing
  • embroidery floss or string
First, draw a large jellybean on a piece of cardboard or heavy paper. This will be your pattern. Now, I'm not going to insult your intelligence by attaching a template... I'm going to assume you've all completed kindergarden and can draw this simple shape! [but if you beg, I just might cave] Just to give you an idea, though, my jellybean pattern was about 4.5 inches long by 2.5 inches wide. But make it in the size that looks best to you! 
 
For each jellybean, you will need to cut 2 pieces of felt. My jellybean garland is 21 jellybeans long, so I cut 42 pieces - 6 pieces each of 7 different colors of felt.

felt jellybean garland tutorial

Next, pair two matching colors of felt together and begin sewing them together along the edges, leaving about 1/4" margin all the way around. 

felt jellybean garland tutorial

When you have about 2" left open, stuff the jellybean with a bit of polyester stuffing. This takes a little bit of finesse to do while the piece is still attached to the sewing machine, but I found that pushing the stuffing in with the eraser end of my pencil helped a lot. Remember, you don't need to add much, just enough to make the jellybean a little puffy and three-dimensional.

felt jellybean garland tutorial

Then finish sewing the jellybean closed and backstitch to secure. At this point I trimmed around the edge of my jellybean to make sure everything lined up neat and tidy.

felt jellybean garland tutorial

That's it! Now, make a whole bunch more!

felt jellybean garland tutorial

When you're satisfied with the size of your jellybean pile, it is finally time to turn them into a garland.

Now there are probably lots of ways to attach the jellybeans... you could use a ribbon or twine... you can attach them all the same direction, or alternate their orientation like I did. I'm sure you can think of lots of other ideas. I decided that the easiest way was to simply sew them together with a piece of white embroidery floss. I sewed "X's" to attach each jellybean to the next in line. If you don't like the look, you could also sew them in a way that the place of attachment is more hidden. Up to you!

At this point, I put a drop of clear nail polish (or glue!) on each of the knots, just so that the garland won't fall apart when it is hung up!

felt jellybean garland tutorial

I decided to hang mine on our fireplace. And even though I haven't had any luck getting a decent picture this whole week (it's been dark and stormy every day!), I think it turned out rather cute!

felt jellybean garland tutorial

Now, go make your own! And enjoy! :)

felt jellybean garland tutorial

Don't forget! If you'd like to share your creations, please add a photo to the Dandelions & Lace Flickr Group! I love seeing everyone's projects! :)



Shared at:

Katie's Nesting Spot

7 comments:

  1. very nice! thank you Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is the sweetest, very creative and fun....Happy Easter to you!

    enjoy *~*

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute and simple. Too bad it would make me hungry all the time!

    I tagged you for the versatile blogger award.

    http://www.prettymuchdana.com/2011/04/versatile-blogger-award.html

    Cheers,
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  4. how cute is that? VERY!! I wish I knew how to work my sewing machine. :( I think I will have to find out where I can take some classes there are just so many cute thing being posted.

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the jelly bean garland! Your blog is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, for CUTE! I'll have to remember this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! LOVE this so much that I featured you at A Crafty Soiree tonight:
    www.yesterdayontuesday.com

    Thanks so much for linking up! Malia

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!