Thursday, April 14, 2011

Hydrangeas are some of my favorite flowers. They remind me of home. There we had giant white puffball hydrangeas... it seems that all my life I've wanted to grow colored ones, but the soil in Iowa isn't acidic enough. Now that we're in Texas, where colored hydrangeas thrive, the first thing I did this spring was go to the greenhouse and buy some to plant. Depending on the soil, the variety I chose could be blue or pink. I'd be happy with either, but I'm even happier to say they seem to be a shade in between... blue with a hint of lavendar. Lovely.


I feel like I've been distant lately. I've been suffering from writer's block, I guess. I'm so thrilled to have so many new followers, but feel like I've been letting you all down by not having inspiring and fun things to write about. That's life for you!

Actually, I've been feeling utterly uncreative.


I recently read a letter written by author Ursula LeGuin:

My dear,

The creative adult is the child who survived.

The creative adult is the child who survived after the world tried killing them, making them “grown up”. The creative adult is the child who survived the blandness of schooling, the unhelpful words of bad teachers, and the nay-saying ways of the world.

The creative adult is in essence simply that, a child.

Truly yours,
Ursula LeGuin

I do like this idea and I used to feel like this was me. Lately, I'm not so sure. Maybe need a shot of youthfulness and fun. All I know is that adulthood and responsibilities are not very conducive to a creative life.

Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I'm wrong. Just need to find the balance.





6 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean! Adulthood and complications strangle the life out us sometimes and it is so difficult to find balance. Thanks for being so honest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures. Here in the UK, hydrangeas seem to have gone out of fashion. At one time, two or three decades ago, they were in many front gardens but now they are far and few between. I have several though as I love them! I have a large pink in the front garden and cuttings taken from that, I've grown and planted in my back garden. Two of which I keep potted so I can keep them blue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree 110% with that letter, truer words have never been spoken. I'm pretty sure you'll find that balance again soon -- sometimes ugly adult responsibilies can knock us down for a while but I'm sure when you feel theyre lifted, they will also be just the things that fuel and spark your next creative bout!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that letter... so true! We get inspired when we get inspired... and there is nothing we can do about it. :O) Thanks for sharing your heart... I can relate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hydrangeas are gorgeous! I'm glad you are able to have colored ones now. This reminded me of the big blue hydrangea bushes that were in front of my childhood home. We used to pick them and pretend they were cotton candy! Here's hoping you find some balance this week.

    It's true...adulthood and responsibility can sometimes be the bane of creativity. Thank God for pretty flowers to cheer us up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you take these pictures?? They're gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!