Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Feels Like Home

The house that my parents live in has been in my family for close to 90 years. My great-grandparents bought it in the mid 1920s, when my grandfather was just a boy. When he married my grandmother, they moved into the home as newlyweds and my dad was raised there along with his brothers and sister... with their grandmother (my great-grandmother) living upstairs. When my grandmother passed away, my family moved in. It was hard to move to a new town as an 8th grader, but I knew the house was special, and I felt lucky to live in the same house that my father and grandfather had grown up in.


This house holds so many memories. Four generations of my family has lived within its walls. My parents have found that this often makes it hard to make changes... even seemingly simple things like the linoleum kitchen floor, or the green paint on the basement stairs can be hard to part with, and many parts of the house have remained the same for decades.


Part outdated, a little bit worn, but always full of love. From the patriotic eagle wallpaper to the handwritten "call Dorthy Cook" note that has hung above the 1940s rotary phone from who knows how long (it's been there as long as I've been alive!), this house is special to me and it will always feel like home.


Please enjoy these beautiful photos that my sister Sarah took (I helped, but she has a fancier camera!). I hope these details will give you a small taste of this place we call home.
Sarah's Blog
Sarah's Etsy Shop

bicentennial wallpaper eagle americana

wooden shutters

old linoleum

piano keys

cabinet latch

pineapple wallpaper

old rug

doorknob

basement steps

call Dorthy Cook

old telephone

old telephone and note on wall

cabinet hinge

couch cushion americana

heating vent

old button light switch

cushion

kitchen spice drawers

pantry latch

antique kitchen lamp

drawer pull

home sweet home framed cross stitch

10 comments:

  1. How fantastic is that story!! These pictures are just lovely, but I was wanting to pull back and see the whole room. lol Really wonderful to have all those memories for the family I hope the house stays in the family for many more generations

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, these photos are stunning! What a wonderful story. I love the wallpaper, and that phone! I miss those old phones. Thanks for sharing these. :)

    xo,
    melissa
    bubby & bean

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me want old door knobs and skeleton keys in my house!

    Thanks for sharing this historic beauty! I'd love to see pictures of the whole room!

    -Tiffany with Will Write 4 Food
    http://tiffanywillwrite4food.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colorful wallpapers and the Dorothy Cook note! I bet you've always wondered who she is! Or do you know?

    I must agree with Wanda-- I want to see the whole room, too! The beautiful closeups entice me to see MORE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful images, love that the house holds so many wonderful memories that span so many generations. Here's to more wonderful memories for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the nice comments, everyone! Maybe next time I'm in IA, I'll take more photos to satisify your need to zoom out and see more of the rooms!

    Honkus- yes, we've always wondered who Dorthy Cook was... and whether she ever got called! It's become kind of a family joke! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous photos... it looks like a lovely and cozy home! you just can't fake all those special details that come from a home being loved and lived in throughout the years :)

    xoxo,
    lesley

    p.s. found you via the etsy blog team!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow -- she DOES take great pictures! The push-button light-switches are so rare these days. I hope that anyone could see how beautiful each of the beautiful parts of this house are, but I am sure it is extra-pretty to those of you who grew up in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lucky you are to have a family home like this! I enjoyed your story and the pictures very much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just found your website, and I really love it. Especially this post. When I got to the photos of the Dorothy Cooke note and the rotary phone, it reminded me of my grandma's house. She is gone now, but your post brought back a lot of memories that I thought I had forgotten. thanks for that :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!