Friday, February 4, 2011

What a Winter!

So, after today I promise not to bore you with any more posts about the weather, ok?

You probably already heard about our ice storm that has brought the city to its knees for the past three days. [honestly, in the midwest, this would have been a minor storm, but they refuse to use salt here, so it never melts!] Last night the forecast was for snow, but the amounts kept changing... it sounded like we would probably get an inch or less and life would go on. When we woke up and looked outside this morning, there was already over 4 inches on the ground. More fell throughout the morning and EVERYTHING was cancelled and closed. Another day off from work. I only went to work 2 days this week!!! This is crazy.

It is a bit of an inconvenience - houses down here aren't really made for cold weather like this and our house is COLD. We've had some rolling blackouts. The most annoying thing of all is that the dishwasher and washing machine are not working... I think the pipes are slightly frozen. I'm just crossing my fingers that there will be no problems when they finally thaw.

Well, the Super Bowl is this weekend and if you haven't heard, it's being held here in Dallas for the first time ever. While I don't really give a hoot about football, I do feel very sorry for the cities of Dallas and Fort Worth. There has been excitement for months and businesses were really counting on increased traffic and millions of dollars in increased revenue this entire week from people coming down for the big game. The place where I work [and many other places in town] hired extra temporary workers to keep up with the crowds, but things have been just dead due to the weather. Hopefully things will pick up tomorrow and Sunday, but each weather forecast I see seems to be worse. It's really too bad... [but a little ironic].

The snow today has been gorgeous though. Here are some photos I snapped:

snow and berries in Texas

snow in Texas

snow in Texas

snow on owl in Texas

In other news, we have spent a lot of time cleaning and organizing . . . [lol]

organizing m&ms candy

Drinking hot chocolate . . . [probably gallons!]

drinking hot chocolate

And admiring our adorable cats . . .

Bubby the cat

Scooter the cat
Scooter is always on guard...


Cats rolling on the floor fighting!
. . . because this could happen at any moment!


My cats just can't get along!
Follow my blog with bloglovin

7 comments:

  1. Looks like some normal Iowa weather down there ;) But really, that's too bad about it all. But in other news, your kitties are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing to me that these are pics of Texas! Who would've thought a superbowl in Dallas could be messed up due to snow?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe it snowed in Texas!! Mind boggling!!

    -Tiffany Rainey with Will Write 4 Food
    http://tiffanywillwrite4food.weebly.com
    http://tiffanywillwrite4food.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have the awesomest photos! What kind of camera do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in Manitoba Canada - so we chuckle a little when people have 4 inches of snow and close the city. Of course - we are prepared for it and have amazing snow removal equipment here - and the cold . . . What cold?
    We close schools here when it's -45 degrees with the windchill, or for snowstorms and ice storms, but they have to be pretty bad.

    Will be watching the Super Bowl on Sunday for the commercials :) Hope they have a great turnout too, it must be interesting getting ready with the weather you've been having.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate the cold and while we have had little snow, temps in the teens are unusual for Mississippi. Love your kitties too ~ I have two as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the sweet comments, everyone!!

    Aggie- I just use a little point and shoot camera, nothing too fancy. It's an Olympus Stylus 1010. I'm not sure if that model is even available anymore - we bought it in the summer of 2008. We picked it because it could take nice zoomed in pictures (better than almost any other point and shoot) and has pretty high photo quality. I'm sure there are even better ones out there now.

    Besides the camera, I usually do a little bit of editing to my photos with Photoshop or Picasa (this is free and so easy to use!)

    I would love to get a fancy SLR camera someday, but I end up with pretty decent results with what I already have, so the fancy camera will have to wait a bit! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!