Sunday, February 27, 2011

Sometimes it's the simple things

The last few days I have been in a bit of a funk. I have so many things I want to work on, but don't really feel like doing any of them. Last night I decided that the best solution would be to make cupcake-shaped cutout cookies while listening to the soundtrack from the Ken Burns documentary Mark Twain (don't judge!).

Soothing, old-timey music, paired with a deliciously repetitive task handed down by women through the ages seemed to do the trick.

Rolling out cookie dough makes me smile, because my rolling pin is so beautiful. My dad made it for me on his lathe as a wedding gift. He made the cutting board in the photo, too and that gets a lot of use, along with some wooden cooling racks. My favorite is the rolling pin, though. . . so smooth and perfect, made from glowing red cherry (my favorite kind of wood). I cried when I unwrapped the box, it was so beautiful. It occupies a place of honor in my kitchen.

When Etsy spotlights artists on the front page, they always ask what the artist's favorite handmade item is. Mine is probably my rolling pin. So simple. But everytime I use it, I think of the love that went into it. And that love makes my cookies turn out just perfect.

beautiful handmade wooden rolling pin




 
 

7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful gift your father gave you...and it keeps giving back, if you know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lovely rolling pin!

    ...and now I want cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you just made my sunday even better <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post made me smile, what a precious gift.
    I stopped by from Simple as that and I am so glad I did. Your photography is gorgeous:)
    Micayla xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this photo & the lovely story behind it! :) thanks for sharing! Rebecca

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!