Friday, February 11, 2011

More Lovely Old Valentines

I shared some of my grandmother's old valentines last week and so many people enjoyed them that I've decided to share another batch. I scanned less than half of what she saved, but tried to pick some of the cutest cards. Others were very three-dimensional and didn't work for scanning, so I saved those for another time. Please enjoy these sweet designs from the mid to late 1920s.

It makes me a little bit sad to compare these beautiful valentines with the junky paper cards distributed by kids now (and when I was little). I guess it's the sentiment that matters, and for the most part that hasn't changed (though I think the sayings on these are lots more clever!) These older cards just seem so much more special.

Do you have a favorite? My favorite is probably the circus card at the bottom . . . or the airplane . . . well, I really like the fence one, too. I guess I can't decide. Which one do you think is the best?

antique valentine grandma's vintage old sweet pretty children


antique vintage old valentine grandma's girl trees flowers


antique vintage old valentine grandma's children sweet


antique vintage old valentine grandma's boy straw hat heart sweet


antique vintage old valentine grandma's children fence sweet


antique vintage old valentine grandma's girl paint ladder heart sweet


antique vintage old valentine grandma's airplane plane boy heart sweet


antique vintage old valentine grandma's girl fortune teller gypsy globe earth heart fan sweet


antique vintage old valentine grandma's girl speaker phonograph music heart sweet


antique vintage old valentine grandma's circus girl children clown sweet

6 comments:

  1. These are fantastic. I think the airplane might be my favorite. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are amazing! So wonderful she kept them after all these years!

    http://prettylittlevintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! It is really sad how boring and commericial children's valentines are these days. Someone should recreate these old valentie ideas! I especially love the sayings on these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The girl painting the heart is my fav! I love the boy in the hat and the circus one too, they're all splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are so beautiful! My favorite is the clown one, but I think that's because my boyfriend is a clown.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, it is increadable that you still have these. I'd love to have old letters or cards like that! They are adorable. Thanks for saving them and thanks for sharing them. By the way, very pretty blog.
    ~Norma
    Etsy Blogging Buddies
    http://www.spotlightonpendants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!