Saturday, February 5, 2011

Lovely Old Valentines

To get out of the winter blahs... and to celebrate the fact that Valentine's Day is on it's way... I've decided to share something very special today. When I was visiting my parents in Iowa a few weeks ago, I had the chance to look through some old valentines that had been given to my Grandmother when she was just a little girl. I'm sharing half of them today and I'll share the rest a bit later.

They are worn and faded... I can imagine her as a girl keeping them in a box under her bed, rifling through them on cold, rainy days... or as an old woman admiring them fondly, sentimental keepsakes of a happy childhood. They were definitely well loved.


Here is my Grandmother Carmella in 1927 at her First Communion. She would have been 7 years old. Many of the valentines are dated 1927 or 1928, so this is a snapshot in time of the young girl who received them.

I've scanned both the front and back so that you can read both the cheesy printed sayings and the handwritten inscriptions from her little friends. These are truly family treasures, and I hope you cherish the opportunity to look at these as much as I do.


antique vintage valentine butterfly girl sweet lovely old


antique vintage valentine letter heart sweet lovely old


antique vintage valentine children boy girl love sweet lovely old


antique vintage valentine children boy girl ice skating sweet lovely old


antique vintage valentine boy heart collar sweet lovely old


antique vintage valentine girl red hat sweet lovely old


antique vintage valentine children boy girl seesaw teeter totter heart sweet lovely old


antique vintage valentine girl hat sitting heart sweet lovely old


antique vintage valentine children boy girl heart sweet lovely old


antique vintage valentine girl hangin hearts on clothesline sweet lovely old

12 comments:

  1. Wow, these are so elegant, beautiful and substantial compared to those little rectangle valentines with cartoon characters. Thank you for sharing them! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful blog, I love old Valentines and miss giving them to my grade school classmates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful. And I kind of love the name "Carmella" now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love these old valentines. How sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adore these!!

    Following you from the Etsy Blog Team thread - your newest follower.

    Please come visit us:

    http://sisterbatik.blogspot.com/

    Happy Valentines!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the vintage Valentines cards and I love that she kept them so nicely and passed them along to you to cherish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a keepsake to have, how lovely. I'm sure you will cherish them always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. look at that handwriting!! such a treasure!! i am not even sure if they still teach cursive in schools??

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Found you on the fabulous new Blogging teams and following! :)

    Warmly,
    Tiffany with Will Write 4 Food

    --Blog--
    http://tiffanywillwrite4food.blogspot.com

    --Home & Portfolio--
    http://tiffanywillwrite4food.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!