Monday, January 10, 2011

Snow Day

Remember how I was complaining awhile ago that we probably wouldn't get any snow here in Texas?  Well, we did! Yep, it snowed a bit yesterday and then some more overnight. This is nothing compared to where I'm from (and I'll be able to share some *real* snow pictures with you next week when I visit the snowy Midwest!) but around here, it's a big deal! So much in fact, that I didn't have to go into work at the regular time this morning. I'll be leaving to go in a bit, but I definitely won't complain about the opportunity to hang out with my kitties and get a few things done around the house!

Yesterday, we just stayed home and it was divine! Didn't do anything special, just some of those nagging projects that have been hanging over my head forever . . . I tackled the junk drawers, and my bedroom closet (yikes!) cleaned the bathroom, and am still in the middle of setting up my craft room. Sometimes it's so nice to have a day with no plans and nothing to do.

I took a few pictures of our "snow" that I thought I'd share with you.
Not a lot, but still pretty. Enjoy!

Ok, I totally cheated with this photo!  I used the "add snow" option in Picasa that makes it look like it's snowing! That's why it's snowing under the awning, lol. It was snowing when I took the picture, but it didn't show up that way in the picture. A little extra snow never hurt, right?  :)



When I was moving my car this morning, (my husband still had to go to work early, hehe), I was looking at the snow on my windshield and noticed that instead of snowflakes, there were little "sticks" of snow. Turns out, they are actually called "snow needles". These change from thin plates to needle shapes in the air when the temperature changes a few degrees and only grow at around 23 degrees F. So even though I was hoping for pretty snowflake shapes, it sounds like snow needles are rather unusual, so that's kind of cool. I zoomed in on one of my pictures (below) so you can see them. Or go here to read all about types of snowflakes. Awesome website.

8 comments:

  1. Love your blog! I'm your newest follower. :)
    Love your snow pictures!
    We got 5" today so far here in TN.
    http://juliesbits.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty SNOW!

    We had snow just before Christmas - it was a total blanket and we were like kids in the snow :)

    Come visit our blog and take a look at our snow day images:

    http://sisterbatik.blogspot.com/

    SisterBatik xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your pics! So funny that you added snow - I don't think I've ever been able to capture snow falling down and we have lots of it!! The snow sticks are pretty though - I don't think I've actually seen them before! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so awesome that you used an add snow feature on that first photo. I need to add some snow to my photos, too. Even though I live in Canada, this is one of the warmest, un-snowiest cities and people just freak out if the white stuff starts falling. Enjoy your snow day!

    Sarah

    http://sadiedesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snow sticks...now that is awesome and very unique...am glad you took pictures of them. We just shoveled 3 inches of snow and it's still falling and it looks just like glitter falling from the sky...it's beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry Mandy, I meant to say snow needles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of snow needles before. It is a beautiful picture of them. I'm now following your blog.
    All About Cats Etsy Shop
    All About Cats Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful snow needles! I love all the photos in this post. It is so beautiful when it's snowing... We have a LOT of snow here in Finland. Have a lovely week <3

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!