Thursday, January 20, 2011

Postcard Party

So, I'll just come right out and say it: I come from a family of packrats . . . though we prefer to call ourselves "savers". The difference? My family only saves the good stuff! While that might not always be the case, it certainly rang true last night.

We have been visiting some antique stores since we've been in Iowa, and lately my mom has been attracted to the cute antique holiday postcards. In fact, she has even bought a few of them to set around the house. When she showed my dad, he said "Hey, you know we have a whole barrel of those up in the barn." My mom didn't know. So, he went up with my husband and lugged the barrel down and brought it into the house to show us.

There are TONS and TONS of old postcards . . . some that were written to family members, others that don't seem to be related. Many are holiday cards, others are from vacations and trips. I don't really know how we ended up with these, but we spent the whole evening flipping through postcards with my parents, setting out the extra special nice ones, and laughing over the old inscriptions.

One of the first cards - and the funniest - was one from the 1950s . . . written to my dad from his grandma when he was just four years old. It had a fuzzy kitty on the front. "Dear Peter," it read, "Here is a kitty that won't run away, or die. Love, Grandma." We roared with laughter over that one, imagining the kitty troubles that poor little Peter must have had. My dad just smiled.

Below are just a few of the cards - we didn't even get through half of them and we spent hours looking through them.


Below are the ones that are still left to look at!


I scanned some of the postcards that I thought would be fun to share. Enjoy!

A family standing beside a huge whale skeleton - in the middle of a field?? This one is dated 1906.

Here's one with a colorized photo of President Teddy Roosevelt and his family. The reason I like it was that all the dark lines that you can see on it are actually glitter!

Here's one postmarked from Jacksonville, Florida in 1917.
I just really liked the design of this one with the alligator border.

I think this one is a joke that the man keeps making it look like he's about to propose.
Cute. Postmarked 1913.

The obligatory "Postcard from Hell". No date.

"I am in Texas, but my ass is in New Mexico." LOL.
This one is a bit later, postmarked from El Paso in 1958.

And we'll end with a cute one of children on the beach in Asbury Park, New Jersey.
I think this one is from 1913.

Which is your favorite?

7 comments:

  1. You aren't kidding! That's a ton of postcards. I have to admit, the one about the cat won't run away or die is my favorite. I always buy a ton of postcards, but never quite make it to the sending point. I bet a have lot - maybe one day someone will actually enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love old postcards! I can't believe the size of your score. The one of the whale skeleton is my favourite. I wonder where it is and why it was there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are amazing! What a great collection, it sounds like it was a lot of fun to look through them all. Another vote for the whale skeleton!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what an amazing collection! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy moly, what an awesome find!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! So glad I stopped at the Etsy forum tonight, your blog is beautiful!

    Blessings,
    ~Ronda

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm very, very envious of your postcard collection. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!