Monday, January 24, 2011

An Iowa Kind of Special

Well, we're back in Texas.

Our trip to Iowa was wonderful, but I can't believe it's already over! The whole visit already has a dream-like quality, especially since I don't know when we'll be able to visit again. I didn't take as many photos as I planned to. . . partly because it was COLD! One night it was 22 degrees below zero - and that's before adding windchill! So, we didn't spend a lot of time outside, like I had been hoping. But I still should have taken more pictures of my family. I guess I was so busy relaxing that I didn't get around to it!

I did want to share some of the few photos I took during our trip, so here they are!


We saw snow . . .

Visited a museum where we saw a beautiful one-of-a-kind hand-built car . . .

. . . and some old steam tractors!

I got to meet my parents' BEAUTIFUL new cat, Jasmine.
(Henry is the one in the back, but I already knew him. :)

My hubby and I made some major scores while antique shopping. (This is just a sampling of our loot!)

We saw more snow!

Visited the puppets from "The Sound of Music"!



Came across these BEAUTIFUL bowls that belonged to my great-grandmother! (Now, I need to start looking for the largest sized bowl (reddish-orange), when I go antiquing!)


Celebrated Christmas and my b-day with my family - I got this awesome museum shirt that I just had to share!

And saw even more snow!
We did all sorts of other things too:

. . . got a behind-the-scenes tour of the candle-making factory that my little sis works at.
. . . painted-our-own pottery.
. . . visited the crazy gnome house (hmm... I might have to share this story later).
. . . checked our my hometown's brand new community center, complete with beautiful auditorium, indoor swimming pool and historical museum. My little town has gone big-time!
. . . had the best soup ever at a cute little cafe (cheesy cornbread soup, yum!).
. . . sat in a coffe shop and drank hazelnut hot cocoa while I played Battleship with my sister.
. . . sorted through old postcards.
. . . sorted through lots of other things that have accumulated in my parents' house!
. . . met my sister's boyfriend! They have been together for 1 1/2 years and I still hadn't even met him! I hate living so far away!
. . . played lots of Wii - especially Mario Cart and Wheel of Fortune!

. . . and most of all, spent lots of quality time with my family!

It may sound dull to some people, but I love this place.

5 comments:

  1. Great photos of a happy visit. What's the story behind the Sound of Music puppets in your hometown?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog, Amanda! I love the shot of the puppets from the Sound of Music! It would have been hard for me not to try and sneak one out in my coat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. New End & Joanna -

    Thanks for the comments!

    Bil Baird, the puppeteer, who designed the Sound of Music puppets, was from the town in Iowa where I grew up (but not where my parents live now), so all of his puppets are in the local art museum. It's an awesome exhibit and I have been going to see them since I was a little girl. In addition to the Sound of Music puppets, there are puppets from Winnie the Pooh, the Wizard of Oz and lots of others. Very cool and definitely my favorite part of the museum. Go here to read more about them: http://www.macniderart.org/baird.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info about the puppets! What a treat for a little boy or girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love you photos and hazelnut cocoa!? What a great idea I gotta have it now!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!