Thursday, December 30, 2010

Year in Review

Wow. I can't believe 2010 is just about over. It's been a busy year and in some ways a very difficult year . . . lots of new things, lots of unexpected changes, but much of it has been good as well.

Just to do a personal inventory of how far we have come this year, I would like to share a month-by-month summary of life in 2010.


In January, we lived in Indianapolis, Indiana and I started a brand spanking new job at a museum I love and greatly respect. I had worked there for 2 years already, but this position was a step up as well as a move into the curatorial department, after spending most of my museum career in collections. I was very excited and a little bit intimidated.


In February, a new and wonderful job opportunity opened up for my husband that he just couldn't resist. The only trouble? It was in Dallas, Texas. He applied and almost immediately was called down to Texas for an interview. On his flight home, he was offered the job.


Before March 1st, my husband had already moved to Texas for his new job. Luckily, his parents live there so he was able to stay with them for awhile to start out. I decided to stay in Indy by myself for a few months to finish up a major exhibit project at work and to pack up the house/get ready for the big move. It also gave me some time to wrap my mind around our new situation.


In April, I traveled down to Texas to visit my husband and also to go house-hunting. It didn't take us long to narrow down the area and type of house we'd like to live in. Before my visit was up, we'd found the perfect place. We decided to take the plunge and become homeowners.


In May, the big art exhibit I had been working on finally opened. It was an exciting time and my husband was even able to attend the grand opening. It was also a sad time, and at the end of the month, the very same weekend that the exhibit opened, I had to say good bye to my good friends at work and finish packing our house for the move to Texas.


In June, my sister Sarah traveled to Indy so that she could drive down to Texas with me in my little 2-door car, packed to the gills with boxes, luggage and my cat, Scooter. After the moving van came with the rest of our belongings, we were able to move into our new home. In mid-June I started a new, temporary (6-month) position at a wonderful museum in Dallas.


By July, Hubby and I were already in full-blown house project mode. With a house built in 1923, there is always something to work on! We started by painting my beautiful craft room, as well as the guest room and Hubby's self-proclaimed "Man Cave". We changed the outdoor lights, and started cleaning up the yard. It really started to make our house feel like a home.


In August, my family got the chance to visit from Iowa. They had never been to Texas, and of course they chose the hottest week of the year to visit. However, we made the best of it and took them to all the sites, including the Fort Worth Stockyards, the Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza, the Dallas World Aquarium, and all sorts of other fun places.


In September, I was really missing my friends. My husband worked late hours and I needed something to keep me busy in the evenings. I decided to sign up for an online sewing class and learned that sewing is actually lots of fun! It was not nearly as difficult as I had imagined and I began thinking up lots of projects I wanted to try.


In October, we adopted a new kitten named Bubby. He was a handful and for awhile we wondered if we had made the right decision, but he has become such a sweetie that now I wouldn't trade him for anything. He's even getting along with his older brother Scooter!


We spent most of November repainting our dining room. It was a long, drawn-out process, but totally worth it. It is the first room we have finished in the main "public" area of our home and it is sooo nice that it's finally presentable! Now, on to the kitchen!


In December, I received the wonderful news that my temporary job would be extended for another 6 months... and there is a good possibility that it could become permanent after that! We also had the opportunity to host Christmas with my in-laws, the first big event in our new home.

* * * * * * * * * * *

Well . . . looking back on it like that, I guess it really wasn't such a bad year after all. Lots of changes, but so far they have turned out for the good. A year ago I would have never guessed that this is where we would end up, but I am thankful to have had so many new opportunities and I hope that 2011 will prove to be just as exciting! [but maybe without the moving part... I'm a little tired of boxes!]

5 comments:

  1. What a great idea to do a year in review! Looks like you had a super busy one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog. I actually have re-done my pink bathroom...I liked the links though - I didn't know they had such a following! I just haven't had the chance to post the updates :)

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You definitely had a whirlwind of a year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You certainly had an exciting year! I'm sure this year will be a wonderful one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, a lot of changes for you this year! Love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!