Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A week of {no bake} Christmas party treats - Day 3 - Christmas Wreaths

Hello everyone! Welcome to a week of {no bake} Christmas party treats! Since I've already shown you a couple chocolate-y treats, I've decided to make a non-chocolate treat today! (Don't worry, chocolate lovers, there will be more to come!) Today we're going to make CHRISTMAS WREATHS out of corn flakes. These are so delicious and they just *taste* like Christmas to me. My Grandma makes these for her cookie plates every year and I just love them!


corn flake christmas wreaths

To start with, you will need the following ingredients:
  • 5 1/2 cups corn flakes
  • 6 cups mini marshmallows
  • 1 cup butter
  • green food coloring
  • cinnamon red hot candies

    Day 3-1
Melt the marshmallows and the butter. I melted them over the stove in my double boiler - as you can see, it was a little hard to stir because there were sooo many marshmallows, but once everything melted down, it worked out just fine. You can probably also melt them in the microwave, but I have a bad memory of marshmallows blowing up in the microwave, so I decided to just stick with the recipe. :)

Day 3-2

After the marshmallows and butter are completely melted, add a few drops (I think I added 5-6 drops) of green food coloring to make it a nice festive color.

Day 3-3

Day 3-4

Pour the green marshmallow mixture into a large bowl containing the corn flakes and stir until corn flakes are completely covered.

Day 3-5

Drop by spoonful onto wax paper. Poke finger in center to make a wreath shape.

Day 3-6

Add cinnamon red hot candies to look like berries. [if you don't like red hots... (and to be honest, I really don't - except they just feel *right* in this recipe!), you can use other red candies... perhaps mini m&ms or anything else you can find]

Let the wreaths cool (pop them in the fridge to get them hardened up a little faster) and you're done! Aren't they great!?

Day 3-7



Christmas Wreaths
Ingredients:
  • 5 1/2 cups corn flakes
  • 6 cups mini marshmallows
  • 1 cup butter
  • green food coloring
  • cinnamon red hot candies
  1. Melt butter and marshmallows in a double boiler.
  2. Add green food coloring to give it a bright color.
  3. Remove from heat and pour into large bowl containing corn flakes.
  4. Drop spoonful on wax paper. Poke finger in middle to shape like a wreath.
  5. Press red cinnamon candies on before wreaths cool.
This recipe makes 25-30 wreaths.

3 comments:

  1. There's no doubt, these may be the best...but I don't know.........every night you post something I think it's better than the night before. :):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These mean "Christmas to me as well" My 2nd grade teacher made them and I have never forgot but only have made them once in 20 years!! Thank you, for reminding me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use red Christmas Smarties or M&M's instead of hot cinnamon candies...is a nice variation

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!