Sunday, December 12, 2010

A week of {no bake} Christmas party treats - Day 1 - Chocolate-PB Ritz Cookies

How many of you have been invited to parties, cookie exchanges or get-togethers with friends and coworkers this season and thought to yourself: "Gosh, I'm excited about the party but I just don't know what to bring!" or "I really don't have time to make much of anything!"

Well, I have the solution for you because I've been gearing up for a real bloggy treat! For the next seven days, I will feature a different Christmas-y treat that is *perfect* for sharing. Why are they perfect, you ask? Because they are super-simple and there is no baking required! Are you excited yet? Good, cuz here we go!

For Day 1 I would like to feature a cookie that was probably one of my favorites growing up. I always brought it to school as treats on my birthday. It's very kid-friendly, both in ingredients and in preparation. Take it away for "CHOCOLATE-PB RITZ COOKIES!"


chocolate peanut butter ritz cookies

To make these super-simple cookies, you only need four basic ingredients:
  • Ritz crackers
  • creamy peanut butter
  • chocolate almond bark [found in the baking section]
  • holiday sprinkles

Day 1-1


First, spread a bit of peanut butter between two crackers, making little cracker sandwiches. This is a great step for the kids to help out with.

Day 1-2

Next, begin melting your almond bark. It is microwaveable, but I've always melted it over the stove using a double boiler, so that's what I did. Be sure not to overheat the chocolate or to let moisture get into it - this will ruin the consistency and make it chunky.

Day 1-3

Once the almond bark is melted, dip a cracker sandwich into the chocolate so that it is completely covered. I use tongs for this step. You need to work kind of quickly so that the peanut butter doesn't start to get melty.

Day 1-4

Tap off the excess chocolate . . .

Day 1-5

And put the cookie on a cookie sheet covered in wax paper (parchment paper also works).

Day 1-6

Finally, decorate with holiday sprinkles, let cool and you're finished! You'll have to sprinkle as you go, because they won't stick after the chocolate begins to harden. If you have kids, be sure to let them help with the sprinkles!

Day 1-7

Don't worry too much if they look a little messy on the cookie sheet. Once you pull them off and put them on a cute plate, they always look perfect! ENJOY!

Day 1-8

Play around with the recipe! I can think of the following variations:
  • Use white instead of chocolate almond bark
  • Use Nutella instead of peanut butter (yum! this might work best with white almond bark)
  • Use those mini cracker sandwiches you can buy in a box - bite-sized cookies!
  • Be creative and have fun!
Chocolate-PB Ritz Cookies
Ingredients:
  • Ritz Crackers (2 per cookie)
  • chocolate almond bark (1 package makes ~40 cookies, adjust amount used to correspond to the number of cookies you'd like to make)
  • creamy peanut butter
  • holiday sprinkles
  1. Spread peanut butter between two Ritz crackers to make a cracker sandwich.
  2. Dip cracker sandwiches into melted almond bark until covered. Tap off excess chocolate and put cookie on waxed paper.
  3. Decorate with holiday sprinkles and let cool to harden.

3 comments:

  1. My dad and I used to make these every year! They're so delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mandy, I'm making these tomorrow!! I love the pictures and the sprinkles are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look SO yummy. I might have to try them with my kids.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!